My Reflections on Tom Verlaine



To me, Tom Verlaine, who died Saturday at 73, was always an ecstatic poet of immanence, both in his lyrics and in his guitar playing.

He saw the prosaic world of the contemporary city as charged with mystery and the possibility of poetic surprise, a world at once rather desolate and forlorn, but also dense with a beauty and significance accessible to the imagination.

The emotion corresponding to Verlaine’s way of perceiving the world was kind of delinquent ecstasy, a feeling of being lost, with nothing to lose, in a world of hidden wonders.

For me, that vision was captured in the following lines from Venus de Milo, the second song on Television’s landmark album Marquee Moon:

You know it's all like some new kind of drug My senses are sharp and my hands are like gloves Broadway looked so medieval It seemed to flap, like little pages And I fell sideways laughing With a friend from many stages

The line “I fell sideways laughing/With a friend from many stages” beautifully expresses a feeling of youth, of being adrift in a world of potential beauty and adventure with friends who feel the same way, that I associate with my own late teens and early 20s, the period when I first listened to Verlaine.

Verlaine may have been a lyricist/poet with a taste for imagery that seemed redolent of Jean Cocteau as well as his namesake Paul Verlaine – “I was standing where the darkness doubled/I recall, lightning struck itself” – but he was also firmly rooted in a nocturnal world of bars and cars and parties, creating an ambience that was as much film noir as French poetry.

The same kind of poetic yearning the pervades Verlaine’s marvelous lyrics is at play in his unique guitar playing.

Not only is he a master of a kind of lyrical, often melancholic, melodicism; he is also a master of variation, taking short figures and submitting them to a series of relentless changes, as if determined to wrench every last potential for meaning and emotion from a simple musical fragment, searching endlessly for the same immanent beauty his lyrics speak of.

The best-known example is his soloing on the title track of Marquee Moon, but it surfaces in virtually every song on the album, even the short, punchier pieces like Venus de Milo. His playing often has a rigorous intelligence and systematic quality that’s not too distant from one of his early influences, John Coltrane.

Marquee Moon is one of the handful of albums from that time that I’ve found myself returning to consistently over the decades.

I used to think it was an excellent album that was somewhat marred by a pacing problem.

It seemed to race through a succession of sparkling, near-perfect songs on the first side, climax with the title track at the end of that side, and then give way to a series of still excellent, but mournful, dirge-like pieces on Side Two.

As the decades passed, I slowly understood how deep and rich each one of those tracks was an how they reinforced the tranquil, morning-after feel of the second side as a whole.

I lost track of Verlaine after the first incarnation of Television broke up, occasionally picking up and enjoying one of his solo albums, which were always fine and interesting, if lacking, most of the time, the cohesion and ambition of the two classic Television albums.

It’s an interesting reflection of how important the dynamics of a real, functioning band are to forging rock music with lasting value. Television may have been Verlaine’s band, dominated and defined by his music and lyrics, but the passion and commitment of the other members of the band brought his vision to life more vividly and compellingly than his solo output ever seemed able to.

I was lucky enough to see Tom Verlaine at the Ritz in New York City in June of 1982.

I don’t remember much about it, except that King Crimson guitarist Robert Fripp brushed by me on the way to his reserved table, and that the show was superb.

The details are mostly gone from my memory, but I do remember on one thing quite vividly. Verlaine played a long, exploratory solo over a rumbling, reggae-like accompaniment from his band, the same kind of relentless exploration and variation of an evolving melodic idea that characterizes his playing with Television.

He was alone, just himself and his guitar, but I had the feeling the whole club was along with him, accompanying him, note by poignant note, on his solitary but determined quest for transcendent beauty in the earthly immanence of rock and roll.

It’s a memory I’ve always held on to, and delighted in, particularly when I feel nostalgic for those days.

As of yesterday, I’ll hold onto it even more tightly.

It was a tight toy night, streets so bright
The world was so thin between my bones and skin
There stood another person who was a little surprised
To be face to face with a world so alive

How I fell (did you feel low?)
No (huh?)
I fell right into the arms of Venus De Milo

Comments